Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Lighthouse Ride

Eight o'clock, not the best weather to start my ride. The fog was so thick I couldn't see the steps to my deck. I decided to start later. I didn't want to be invivsible to some idiot driving their SUV while using a hand held cell phone. Though it's against the law, too many SUV owners treat traffic laws as suggestions. An hour later the fog finally lifted. Rolling smoothly out I rounded the bend over Meeting House Creek. If a picture is worth a thousand words. This is the biggest fishkill I have seen in 22 years. The Seagulls having gorged themselves were just bobing in the creek amid the dead fish. The DEC released a short memo saying it was a natural phenomena. Which reminds me of another natural phenomenal experienced last June. I'm glad this pehnomena didn't try to mate with me. As I sat unexplicably relaxed on a nearby bench staring transfixed by the site, and with the Horton Point Light House still 20 miles away, I started to make excuses to sit and relax. The weather was threatening. It was getting cold. As I was about to make up my mind a pack of riders passed by, I heard someone yell "alle, alle" urging me to join the peleton. I left the pack, more correctly they left me at mile ten. I continued alone on Sound Road, away from the Bay and warmed by the late sun, I clocked forty two miles round trip with an average speed of 17.3 MPH, and max speed 23MPH. Riding with a group is alway more motivating. I needed that motivation today.




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment